Bodegas Bouza Albariño

Bodegas Bouza Albariño


  • The cuttings planted in this vineyard come from the rural plots of Bouza family relatives in Rias Biaxas, Spain.
  • Grapes are sourced from colder, less exposed blocks in their Melilla and Las Violetas vineyards.
  • This Albariño started as a bit of an experiment for Bouza and has quickly turned into one of the winery’s most sought after bottlings

Varietal Composition: 100% Albariño

Elaboration: Manual selection of the grapes. Pre-fermentation maceration period of 5 hours at 47 ºF. The must settles prior to racking at 50 ºF. 90% of the wine was fermented in stainless steel tanks with the remaining 10% fermenting in French oak barrels. Aged 4 months over its lees.

Tasting Notes: Pale yellow color, with golden highlights. Aromas of peach and white flowers, pineapple and pear. Moving the glass, the pineapple enhances its presence, and vanilla and caramel notes appear. In the mouth, sweet entrance with a slow evolution and a balanced acidity. Long finish.


2017 – 91 Wine Enthusiast “Editor’s Choice”

2018 – 90 Decanter


Juan and Elisa established Bodega Bouza in 2000 by restoring a historic winery first built in 1942 by Numa Pesquera. Since then the winery has established itself as Uruguay’s most critically acclaimed producer. Grapes are sourced from Bouza’s two estate vineyards in the Canelones region. The 5 hectare Melilla Vineyard surrounds Bodega Bouza, located in the northwest section of Montevideo. The 12 hectare Las Violetas Vineyard is 39 km north of Montevideo in the Violetas subregion of Canelones. This temperate, Atlantic-influenced climate sees four distinct seasons and temperatures rarely exceed 93 degrees. Each half hectacre is vinified on its own before selection for various cuvees. While Bouza is receiving worldwide attention for their Tannat bottlings, the winery is also responsible some of the most interesting Tempranillo, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Albarino in South America.

Print Shelf Talker