Bouchard Père et Fils Grand Cru Corton Charlemagne Blanc
WHY WE LOVE IT
- In 1909, Bouchard Père & Fils acquired 60% of the prestigious vineyard at Le Corton, which has the rare particularity of being planted with either Pinot Noir or Chardonnay.
- Today, Bouchard Père & Fils is the third largest vineyard owner in Corton-Charlemagne, with 9.01 acres.
- Classic Corton Charlemagne is considered to be amongst the finest of Burgundy’s whites, and is famous for its combination of fruit flavors (figs and baked pears) and mineral character (flint).
Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
Elaboration: The harvest is done by hand. Careful manual sorting of each grape. The pressing takes place in two phases: evacuation of the first juice, then pressing in two-hourly cycles. After the fermentation process the wine is aged 12 to 13 months in French oak, with up to 15% new oak.
Tasting Notes: Intense fruit and toasted aromas blended with the mineral notes typical of this appellation on the nose. A rich, powerful wine with a strong personality.
2015 – 91 Vinous | 92 Wine Spectator | 92-94 Wine Advocate
2016 – 92 Wine Spectator | 92+ Wine Advocate | 94 Vinous
2017 – 93 Wine Advocate | 94 Wine Spectator
2018 – 93 Wine Advocate
Founded in 1731, Maison Bouchard Père & Fils is one of Burgundy’s oldest wine merchant houses. Over the centuries, the House has been devoted to acquiring highly renowned parcels, in order to build a prestigious domaine: 130 hectares of Crus. The famed vineyards include: Beaune Grèves Vigne de L’Enfant Jésus, Chevalier-Montrachet, Montrachet, Corton, Corton-Charlemagne, Bonnes-Mares and Clos Vougeot to name a few. In 1995 this exceptional collection was purchased by Joseph Henriot, and is today part of Maisons & Domaines Henriot. Maison Bouchard Père & Fils has invested in the vine to bottle, the process is handled with meticulous care, to ensure the most faithful expression of each terroir. Installed since the beginning of the 19th century on the site of the ancient Châteaude Beaune, Maison Bouchard Père & Fils uses the underground galleries and bastions of this fortress built by LuisXI, 10 meters below ground, for the slow maturing of its wines under optimal conditions. Millions of bottles, including a rare collection of pre-phylloxera wines rest in the cellars today protected by 7 meter thick walls.