The history of Jean Perrier goes back a long time. It begins in 1853, when Catherine Perrier buys a cellar in St. Andre Les Maches and plant vineyards in the foothills of Mount Granier. Her son, Claude Emile Perrier, purchases a second cellar in 1911. A trader and grape grower, Claude begins delivering wine to local cafe’s and restaurants. By 1947, Claude’s grandson, Jean Victor Perrier, extends the family’s land holdings and is the first to bottle wine from this area with Savoie on the label. Jean Victor Perrier’s son and current President, Gilbert Perrier, begins working at the family winery in 1964.
The 1970’s saw the winery become incorporated and the installation of their first bottling line, as well as, one big development; Savoie becomes an official Appellation d’origine contrôlée (AOC). The early 1980’s was a time of transition as Gilbert’s two eldest sons, Philippe and Christophe joined the family business. One decade later, Gilbert’s youngest son, Gilles, joined his brothers in vinification, administration, and marketing roles. The past 20 years have seen an expansion of vineyard holdings (59 hectares today) and new varietals planted in addition to Jacquère, with Gamay, Mondeuse, and Chignin Bergeron becoming more and more popular.