La Carlina Langhe Nebbiolo DOC "Volubile"

Bricco Carlina Langhe Nebbiolo “Volubile”


  • “Volubile” in Italian means “moody.” La Carlina decided on this name because Nebbiolo produces a wine that can assume different and multiple ways of interpretation and expression during its life.
  • Another interpetation of “volubile” is uncontrollable and unpredictable, which is represented by the kite on the label.
  • This estate vineyard is located in Grinzane Cavour with a East facing plot at an elevation of 900 ft.
  • This vineyard produces grapes that are organically certified.

Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo

Elaboration: The grapes are picked by hand. Soft crushing and de-stemming, followed by 2 days of pre-fermentation maceration at 41°F and déléstage, fermentation and maceration on the skins for approximately 7 – 8 days at a controlled temperature of 79°F. In the first 2 days of maceration, a déléstage occurs every 24 hours and then the must is pumped over at least twice a day to improve the extraction of the color, tannins and varietal aromas until the fifth day then once a day. The malolactic fermentation is completed right after the alcoholic fermentation. 75% of the vintage is aged in steel tanks at a controller temperature of 65°F and the other 25% of the vintage in slightly toasted 500L tonneaux for 5 months followed by 6 months in bottle before release.

Tasting Notes: Light red with ruby sparks. warm and fruity bouquet, with a dried rose petals scents and blackberries and blueberries aromas. full bodied, chewy, and rich with dusty tannins and a juicy yet elegant finish.




The sibling duo of Camilla and Francesco Scavino founded this small winery in 2014 at the foot of the medieval castle that towers over the village of Grinzane Cavour.  

The name “Bricco Carlina” is a reference to the farm of their grandmother where the family would celebrate and party, which is also the place where Camilla and Francesco began experimenting with winemaking as teenagers.

Vineyards are scattered between the hills of the Langhe and Monferrato, and farming is organic.  Bricco Carlina’s releases are progressive examples of Piedmont’s landscape – Deeply colored, opulent wines with tremendous purity and sense of place.

Print Shelf Talker