WHY WE LOVE IT
- Established by the Smedley family, Mandala Wines is a five-star James Halliday-rated Yarra Valley winery.
- Named “Syrah” in Europe, South America and New Zealand but “Shiraz” in Australia, Shiraz is Australia’s well known and most widely planted variety.
- Hailing from the South-eastern region of France, this varietal is grown in practically every wine region in Australia – a testament to its adaptable nature.
- In the Yarra Valley, the Shiraz is classed as cool climate and boasts a distinctive warm spice and peppery flavor, revered by Shiraz enthusiasts.
- This wine can be cellared for 5- 8 years.
Varietal Composition: 100% Shiraz
Elaboration: The fruit was chilled upon arrival at the winery, then crushed and destemmed into open top vats for fermentation on skins. The ferment was plunged twice daily for the first week and left on skins for a further 15 days before being transferred into an open screen press and gently pressed into French oak.
Tasting Notes: Ripe fruit aromas of boysenberry, blueberry, mulberry and plum combine with hints of dark chocolate and ground spices. The palate is loaded with fleshy generosity providing a textured and succulent mouth feel. Hints of charcuterie, black pepper and liquorice strap are wrapped up in silky smooth tannins.
2018 – 93 James Halliday
Located in the picturesque Yarra Valley, Mandala Wines have proudly crafted wines of character and finesse since 1999. Established by the Smedley family, Mandala has two sites under vine: one at Dixons Creek, where the Cellar Door complex and glasshouse DiVino Ristorante is based, and the other at Yarra Junction in the Upper Yarra Valley region.
Both sites produce wine varietals that excel in the region; Dixons Creek is home to a mix of classic varieties, while the Yarra Junction vineyard was carefully selected for premium Pinot Noir production. Mandala Wines merges the qualities that make up the balance of ‘the good life’ – the love of family, food and wine; the best recipe for embracing and savoring life.