Pedroncelli “Mother Clone” Zinfandel
WHY WE LOVE IT
- Pedroncelli’s historic Zinfandel vineyards are located on the hillsides surrounding the winery, on the ranch originally purchased by John Pedroncelli Sr. in 1927 and planted to Zinfandel since 1904.
- These vines are head-pruned and hand-picked, a second generation vineyard cloned from the original “Mother” vines which were replanted block by block beginning in the early 1980s.
- The fruit from the remaining 100+ year-old vines, although a small part, is included. Sourced from three estate vineyards: the Home Ranch, Bushnell, and Buchigani Vineyard.
Varietal Composition: 88% Zinfandel 12% Petit Sirah
Elaboration: Destemmed grapes go to a fermentation tank to cold soak for 24-48 hours and then are inoculated with selected yeast. Daily pump-overs and fermentation in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks with delestage regimes are done for maximum phenolic extraction. Following this the grapes are pressed and go to storage tanks until barreled down for 12 months of aging in American oak barrels (30% of which are new). The addition of Petite Sirah (12%) adds depth of color and brings structure to the Zinfandel fruit.
Tasting Notes: Aromas of red and black berries with a touch of warm baking spices. The concentrated flavors of raspberry and blackberry combine with vanilla, toasty oak, pepper and a dash of nutmeg. The spicy-berry dynamic so typical of Dry Creek Zinfandel combines smooth tannins and a spicy finish which are a hallmark of Pedroncelli.
2016 – 89 Wine Spectator
2017 – 89 Wine Advocate
2018 – 89 Wine Spectator
Since 1927, when John Pedroncelli Sr. purchased vineyard and a small winery in Sonoma County’s Dry Creek Valley, two elements remain unchanged: the exceptional place the Pedroncelli family farms vineyards, and the family’s dedication to making fine wines. From selling grapes to home winemakers during prohibition in order to keep the vineyards going, to growing a small base of business during the 1930s and 1940s, to the second generation joining their father. The eldest, John, became winemaker in 1948 followed by the younger son, Jim in 1955, as sales director. In 1963 the winery was officially purchased by John and Jim from their father, to growing the line of wines in the 1960s with vineyard expansion and diversification, to the boom time of the 1970s and 1980s along with many changes and additions to the sales base including national sales and export. The third generation came on board and vineyard replanting in the 1990s to the 21st century refining their focus to restaurants and casual dining/meet-up wine bars and independent wine shops across the nation. The transfer of ownership of the company to the third generation (now a 70% woman owned company with a woman winemaker!) to the second decade in the new millennium where the fourth generation is coming up the ranks…Nine decades strong, they are still family owned and operated. It all adds up to tradition, heritage and a family of wines you can enjoy with confidence.