Viu Manent Malbec Gran Reserva

Viu Manent Malbec Gran Reserva

WHY WE LOVE IT

  • The grapes came primarily from the vineyards at the winery’s Fundo San Carlos estate near Cunaco in the Colchagua Valley.
  • The blocks average 26 years of age.
  • Certified Vegan.

Varietal Composition: 100% Malbec

Elaboration: The grapes were destemmed and crushed into stainless steel tanks, where they underwent a four-day pre-fermentation cold soak at 10ºC to achieve greater extraction of color and aromas. Alcoholic fermentation took place at 25º–27ºC and was very gentle to prevent over-extraction and obtain a more elegant, friendly, and balanced wine. The process continued with a two-week post-fermentation maceration. Malolactic fermentation later took place naturally in barrels. Most of the wine was aged in French oak barrels and was delicately filtered prior to bottling. Oak: Approximately 80% of the wine was aged for 12 months in French oak barrels. The remaining 20% was held on its fine lees in stainless steel tanks, concrete eggs, and foudres, all with the goal of contributing greater freshness and volume to the final blend.

Tasting Notes:  This wine presents an intense cherry red color with bright carmine red nuances. The expressive nose is fruity and delicate, recalling notes of ripe red plums and wild red berries with notes of blackcurrant and evolution. The medium-bodied and very juicy palate has good structure and a highly persistent finish.

PRESS

n/a

PRODUCER BACKGROUND

After working as a wine merchant alongside his father and brother since the 1930’s, Miguel Viu Manent made the decision to branch out on his own in 1965, purchasing a historic vineyard and winery in Chile’s Colchagua Valley.  The estate was and still is one of the most well-exposed sites in the region, and it included 150 hectares of pre-phylloxera massal selections from France.

This company provides us with wines we consider the best value wines in the country (see “Reserva line), forward/experimental options (see “Secreto” line), some of the most solid “under $20” varietal wines you’ll find anywhere in the world (see “Gran Reserva” line), site specific/terroir driven releases (see “Single Vineyard” wines), and most famously the iconic “Viu 1.”  Malbec is clearly the house specialty here – Viu Manent was the first Chilean winery to bottle, label, and market Malbec, and they’ve for years been Chile’s Malbec leaders both in terms of accolades and quantity produced.

After nearly 100 years this firm is still family owned and operated (a rarity in Chile, especially for a winery of this size), all farming is certified sustainable, and two of Chile’s top names consult with the winery on a permanent basis – Roberto Pizarro (vineyard management) and Paul Hobbs (winemaking).

PRINT SHELF TALKER