Viu Manent Malbec "Secreto"

Viu Manent Malbec “Secreto”


  • Secreto means “Secret” because up to 15% of the wine has up to 15% of a “Secret Blend” that is only known by the Winemaker.
  • The wine comes the winery’s “El Olivar” Estate, located in Peralillo, in the Colchagua Valley. The average age of the vines is 20 years.
  • Certified Vegan.

Varietal Composition: 85% Malbec with a 15% ‘secret’

Elaboration: The grapes were destemmed into a stainless steel tank, where they underwent a 3-day pre-fermentation maceration at 8ºC to achieve greater extraction of color and aromas. The alcoholic fermentation took place with native yeasts at 26º–28ºC. The 4 daily pumpovers were kept short to extract only the most elegant tannins and obtain a fruitier, friendlier wine. The subsequent malolactic fermentation occurred naturally in oak barrels. Oak: 48% of the wine was aged for 9 months in French oak barrels. The remaining 52% was held in stainless and concrete tanks for greater fruitiness and freshness in the final blend.

Tasting Notes:  Intense purplish-red in color with pronounced aromas of fresh red fruits such as cherries, along with blackcurrant and wild blackberries. The vibrant palate expresses its origin well with a delicate texture and silky tannins.


2016 – 92 Descorchados | 91 Tim Atkin

2018 – 92 Descorchados

2021 – 90 Wine Advocate


After working as a wine merchant alongside his father and brother since the 1930’s, Miguel Viu Manent made the decision to branch out on his own in 1965, purchasing a historic vineyard and winery in Chile’s Colchagua Valley.  The estate was and still is one of the most well-exposed sites in the region, and it included 150 hectares of pre-phylloxera massal selections from France.

This company provides us with wines we consider the best value wines in the country (see “Reserva line), forward/experimental options (see “Secreto” line), some of the most solid “under $20” varietal wines you’ll find anywhere in the world (see “Gran Reserva” line), site specific/terroir driven releases (see “Single Vineyard” wines), and most famously the iconic “Viu 1.”  Malbec is clearly the house specialty here – Viu Manent was the first Chilean winery to bottle, label, and market Malbec, and they’ve for years been Chile’s Malbec leaders both in terms of accolades and quantity produced.

After nearly 100 years this firm is still family owned and operated (a rarity in Chile, especially for a winery of this size), all farming is certified sustainable, and two of Chile’s top names consult with the winery on a permanent basis – Roberto Pizarro (vineyard management) and Paul Hobbs (winemaking).