The history of the Monferrato area and that of Marchesi Incisa della Rochetta, a family whose origins date back to before the eleventh century, are very closely linked. For centuries, their family has owned vineyards and produced its own wine, an activity most likely started by the Benedictine monks, who were given the right, by the family, to plant vines in the hills of their property in Rocchetta Tanaro. You can still see traces of their presence in the Saint’Emiliano votive chapel, which stands in their vineyard bearing the very same name, still owned by the family after so many centuries.
In the nineteenth century, the Marchese Leopoldo Incisa (1792-1871), a member of the Royal Academy of Agriculture in Turin, made significant contributions to research and knowledge in the fields of enology and grape varieties of that period. The legendary Sassicaia was created by another member of the family, Mario Incisa della Rocchetta, a passionate winemaker and a true visionary. He married the Countess Clarice della Gherardesca, and moved from Piemonte to Bolgheri in Tuscany. An innovative and truly Piemontese winemaker, Mario created a new style of wine – Sassicaia- the first “Super Tuscan” red wine which, to this day, remains a benchmark for its category. Since then, the Marchesi Incisa family produces wine within 2 estates; the historical one in Rocchetta Tanaro in Piemonte and that of Bolgheri in Tuscany.
In the wake of this tradition, the Marchesi Incisa della Rocchetta continue to apply scientific research and technological innovation to enhance wine quality and safeguard the environment. It is no coincidence that some of the family’s best vineyards are to be found within Rocchetta Tanaro’s Natural Park, created by the Marchese Mario Incisa (1899-1983), founder and first president of the Italian World Wildlife Fund.
Now, all of their wines are vinified at La Corte Chiusa, the family’s beautifully restored estate in the village of Rocchetta Tanaro, prestigious for Barbera wine. Marchesa Barbara Incisa renovated this family’s one-time farmhouse, built by her grandfather, into a wine-making facility, tasting room and barriquerie. All the renovations were completed between 1991 and 1994. All important phases of winemaking take place here; from de-stemming the grapes, grape pressing and fermenting of the must, to malolactic fermentation, barrel aging and bottling of the wines. In collaboration with Dr. Donato Lanati, the brilliant and highly respected Piemontese enologist, each phase of production is carefully controlled to ensure the highest quality.