Oliver’s Taranga Vermentino
WHY WE LOVE IT
- With 100 ha of premium grapevines on the Taranga property, the Oliver family has over 50 blocks representing different grape varieties, clones, soil types & vine ages. Made in small batches of less than two tonnes, these wines have been handcrafted to speak of both the variety and the vintage in which they have been produced.
- Oliver’s Taranga has been in the Oliver family for six generations.
- They have a unique collection of small batch, handcrafted wines on their 100 hectare ‘Taranga’ property.
- McLaren Vale is well known for premium grape varieties.
- Corrina Wright is an award winning winemaker who produces iconic wines from McLaren Vale, an iconic wine region.
Varietal Composition: 100% Vermentino
Elaboration: A native of Italy, Vermentino is generating a lot of interest in the wine community due to its heat tolerance and ability to produce beautiful crisp and fresh wines, perfect for the Australian palate. This minimal intervention Vermentino is made with indigenous yeast, has no added acid and is made without the use of oak
Tasting Notes: Aromas of talcum powder, a squeeze of lemon over fresh fish, mandarin, honey, fresh lychee and oyster shell. Makes your mouth water like rain on warm asphalt. Tight lemony acid, fresh honey florals on the back palate, touch of fruit tingle on the finish. Talcum tannins give a savory line to the finish.
2018 – 93 James Halliday