Viña Gormaz Joven

Viña Gormaz Joven


  • Goblet trained, ungrafted vines (average age of 40 years), that sit on sandy/calcerous loam soils in La Rasa. A “little” Ribera with “big” personality.

Varietal Composition: 100% Tempranillo

Elaboration: The grapes are hand-picked, then 85% of the resulting batch is macerated for 10-12 days before being fermented at a controlled temperature of a maximum of 79º F. The remaining 15% consists of wine that has undergone “controlled fermentation,” meaning that the must enters into contact with the grape skins for 2 to 3 days to be left to ferment at a temperature of 68º F before being blended with the main body of the batch in order to increase the aromatics of the wine.

Tasting Notes: Intense red color with violet hues. Aromas of crushed red fruits, spices, and leather. Medium bodied with a smooth, dry finish.




Viña Gormaz, a former cooperative that went into individual ownership in late 1970’s, is the undisputed leader in Ribera del Duero’s Eastern sub region of Soria – This zone has until recently been more or less overlooked, and we hold it in high esteem due to the unheard of concentrations of old vines that sit on original rootstock and continue to be propogated in that manner today. Fans of dusty, intense Ribera are wise to explore Soria’s individual villages deeply. You can think of grape sourcing in Ribera much as you do in Burgundy – Individual families own and control small plots, sometimes as minimal as a row or two of vines. As is the case with all of Viña Gormaz’s offerings, grapes come from 22 individual villages in Soria. Winemaker Maria Jose Garcia has been leading all activities here since 1999. It is worth noting that Viña Gormaz was one of twelve original wineries registered to Ribera del Duero upon the DOC’s creation in 1982.

Print Shelf Talker