Viu Manent Chardonnay Gran Reserva

Viu Manent Chardonnay Gran Reserva

WHY WE LOVE IT

  • The grapes come from a vineyard in the Litueche sector near the coastal border of the northern extreme of the Colchagua Valley, 18 kilometers from the Pacific Ocean.
  • The proximity of the sea provides a strong maritime influence that enables the grapes to ripen slowly and reach great quality potential.
  • Certified Vegan.

Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay

Elaboration: 100% of the grapes were whole cluster pressed. Alcoholic fermentation took place with native and selected yeasts and lasted approximately 2 weeks at 16º–22ºC. The wine was then held on its fine lees with weekly stirring to obtain greater silkiness and body. Oak: 43% of the blend was fermented in previously used French oak barrels and then aged in the same barrels for 8 months. The remaining 57% was fermented and held in stainless steel tanks and cement eggs to lend greater freshness and fruit to the final blend.

Tasting Notes:  Greenish yellow in color. The year’s characteristic fruity aromas such as exotic and white fruits appear on the nose along with floral and saline notes. The palate is ample, complex, and fruity with acidity that balances the ripeness and lends depth and persistence.

PRESS

2017 – 90 Wine Advocate | 92 Tim Atkin

2018 – 92 James Suckling

PRODUCER BACKGROUND

After working as a wine merchant alongside his father and brother since the 1930’s, Miguel Viu Manent made the decision to branch out on his own in 1965, purchasing a historic vineyard and winery in Chile’s Colchagua Valley.  The estate was and still is one of the most well-exposed sites in the region, and it included 150 hectares of pre-phylloxera massal selections from France.

This company provides us with wines we consider the best value wines in the country (see “Reserva line), forward/experimental options (see “Secreto” line), some of the most solid “under $20” varietal wines you’ll find anywhere in the world (see “Gran Reserva” line), site specific/terroir driven releases (see “Single Vineyard” wines), and most famously the iconic “Viu 1.”  Malbec is clearly the house specialty here – Viu Manent was the first Chilean winery to bottle, label, and market Malbec, and they’ve for years been Chile’s Malbec leaders both in terms of accolades and quantity produced.

After nearly 100 years this firm is still family owned and operated (a rarity in Chile, especially for a winery of this size), all farming is certified sustainable, and two of Chile’s top names consult with the winery on a permanent basis – Roberto Pizarro (vineyard management) and Paul Hobbs (winemaking).

PRINT SHELF TALKER
PRINT SHELF TALKER (2015)
PRINT CASE CARD (2015)
PRINT RATED SHELF TALKER (2018 – 92 James Suckling)